So this weekend I’ve been fiddling getting Linux as my main OS on my laptop again; this post is just some odds and ends I’ve done.
Conky BOFH Excuses
I wanted some BOFH style excuses being displayed on my conky, so I took an excuses list and then popped it on my webserver and it outputs a single line at random. The conky script reloads once every 6 hours.
so I took to the internet and had a search about, turns out I’m missing a dependency that the installer doesn’t check for but there was a helpful post on their forums and I installed it, if you have the same issue then install this:
So as you’ve seen my preferred distro is Debian and I have previously written a post on installing a newer version of WINE that what is in the Debian repo’s for better computability. Today I followed my own instructions and to my surprise it didn’t work, mainly because the guide was aimed at squeeze and there are some big differences in the way Debian implements multi-arch and wine depends on some 32bit libs.
Now that should all work, Wheezy’s method of installing ia32libs it to include i386 in the architecture list in dpkg which results in better compatibility but also a larger system which isn’t always wanted.
Firefox and Debian
Linux Mint also provides a small repo for Debian which includes newer or non-free software that isn’t in the Debian repo. From here you can download and install a Debian version of Firefox instead of using Iceweasel which isn’t always upto date.
Download firefox-l10n-en-gb (or your lanaguage).
Install firefox-l10n-en-gb (or your lanaguage).
You should now have firefox setup correctly even in update-alternatives and gnome etc.
Debian and MATE Desktop
This one’s fairly simple but strangely not documented on their website. If you liked Gnome2 but not Gnome3 then presumably you don’t want to have to install all of Gnome3’s libs to run the ‘classic’ or fallback desktop. This is where MATE comes in which is a fork of the Gnome2 code with some updates and changes. To install it just do the following:
So today I was working on a site based on xcart 4.5 with an aim to speed up page load times. I had previously migrated all the background images into CSS base64 encoded data to save on the number of requests and file sizes etc.
Part of x-carts SEO tools and optimisation is that it will combine all CSS files into one but while it does that, it craftily rewrites specific parts mainly so URLs are correct which plays havoc with base64 encoded CSS images as it attempts to rewrite it all, so this file needs to be separate and defined manually in the template via the <link /> tag and not with the load_defer() function.
Firstly, you need to setup your domain and relevant services to have the correct resources and the domain to work. I was using apache and included the following lines in the vhosts.
We have to check for SSL so we don’t get certificate errors and alerts about unencrypted content. There isn’t much information in regards to x-cart 4.5 and CDN’s but there’s a snippet on the wiki about it in older versions.
So one of the websites I am developing has a static header, there are a few examples of this being used such as Next; the issue comes, when you require lots of information in this header but use a responsive layout, the header is then taking up real estate for your main content (even more so in landscape mode).
The script hides a div on scroll and displays another to allow you to have a small “show div” button available at all times. if then shows and hides when the display is resizes to a desktop resolution.
Have a go of the demo and feel free to steal the code; if you find any better ways of doing it then don’t hesitate to contact me.
So this afternoon, I decided to upload and release my latest function mailattch. This function takes php’s mail to a whole new level, allowing files to be attached!
There are currently limitations to it and it isn’t highly tested but everyone is welcome to use it and is release under GPL v3.
I have also pushed a little update to ldir. It’s nothing big, just a shameless link back to here; if you really don’t like it then you’re free to remove it from the function source or you can hide is with CSS via display: none; on the class .ldir_link.